Friday, February 15, 2008

I <3 Fridays

I live a quiet life, and I'm OK with that. Generally, people are like, "Woohoo! Weekend! Time to go out and get WASTED!" Good for them. Not I. (At least, not often.) But I do like weekends just as much as the next person, and this has been a tedious week.

I haven't cooked much in a while, so I was looking forward to making something out of my somewhat limited pantry. (I've been so spoiled by the Soulard Market that, even though people are taking me to stores -- and I totally appreciate it -- I haven't bought much produce recently.)

As luck would have it, Nupur posted this fabulous recipe for tomato soup, and I happened to have nearly everything on hand. (Except salt, but I borrowed some from Jessie. Having nice neighbors rocks.) I changed it a little bit -- it's me that we're talking about here -- but only a little bit, I promise. I omitted the milk (OK, I didn't have that either, but I never do), substituted Italian seasoning for the oregano, cut the sugar to 1 tsp, and added some garlic, a few slices of Thai chile, and some nutritional yeast. Perfect! And I also baked a batch of rolls to go with the soup.

And I made a dishcloth on Monday -- took about 2 hours and made class go by a lot more quickly. Nothing too exciting, but since the progress on CPH has been minimal, and Kabs' present is still top-secret, I wanted to post proof that, indeed, I'm still knitting. The "Chinese Waves" pattern (I swear it's not just garter stitch) can be found here. The yarn is variegated Sugar & Creme cotton.


2 Comments:

Blogger Cabbage said...

what's nutritional yeast?
please blog the answer.
yours truly,
- K-to-the-ABIJ

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:25:00 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

Your spicy tomato soup sounds fabulous! I have not been going to Soulard either- it is depressing to go there during this season when there is no produce to be found.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home