Saturday, December 29, 2007

No Barley

After speaking with Kabs earlier, I was inspired to make barley soup. Hasn't happened yet -- might tomorrow, not sure. Here's why:

1) No barley. I thought that I had some, and there's still a possibility that there's a box buried somewhere in my (very disorganized) pantry. However, I vaguely recall knocking said (open) box off the shelf awhile ago. I went to the grocery store and bought barley, but then I also wanted to go to TJs and Jay's while I was out, and that turned into about a 2-hour excursion.

2) Bucket of beans. I went to Soulard, and one of the produce stalls had a half-peck of green beans for $5. (This is about 2 paper grocery bags full...I don't have a scale at home, but it seems like about 10 lbs.) Took me about 2 hours to trim them all. I really need a person to accompany me when I shop. Not to carry my bags, although that would be great, but to tell me when I don't need to buy stuff. Course, the conversations would go something like this:

Me: Ooooh, green beans! Look, only $5 for 10 lbs!
Personal shopping assistant (PSA): 10 lbs is a lot of beans. Don't buy them -- you don't need them.
Me: Yes, I do.
PSA: No, you don't.
Me: You know, you're right. Pauses, then dashes off frantically to buy the beans. You're just mad that you have to carry the bags!

So yeah. Make beans, not barley :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Cabbage said...

haha... i'd like to think that either beast or i would be your PSA! beans rawk.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home