Saturday, December 29, 2007

Instead of Barley

This is what I made instead...it's kind of an Indian mashed potatoes. I think tomorrow I'll make patties and fry them, but right now I am being lazy. (I also made a giant batch of green beans, similar to yesterday's recipe, except minus the carrots, and with a few chiles. And cooked for about 45 minutes.)

1 small cauliflower, chopped
4 potatoes, peeled and chopped (about equal to the amount of chopped cauliflower)
1 minced Thai chile
1 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp powdered cumin
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of dried fenugreek

Bring a pot of water to boil. Add potatoes, and cook about 12 minutes. Add cauliflower and cook about 7 minutes more. Cauliflower will be tender and potatoes will be done or a little "overcooked" -- that's OK. Drain, reserving a small amount of water. Pour into a bowl and immediately add the minced chile. Mash roughly -- you don't want it to be entirely smooth. Add ginger, cumin, salt, and fenugreek and a little water if the mixture is very dry. (I totally didn't measure these...I'd actually start with 1/2 tsp each of ginger and cumin and go from there.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home