Saturday, August 18, 2007

Sopa de Lechuga

It's not often that you get to use the Spanish word for lettuce on an English-speaking blog. (Well, a blog by an English-speaking person.) And although there's nothing Spanish about my soup, I like the Spanish word for lettuce. So ha! This is also called Swamp Soup.


I had several heads of romaine in the fridge that were starting to get wilted, so I took the outer leaves from 3 of them, chopped them and put them into a pot. I added 3 peeled chopped potatoes, 2 chopped onions, and a head of garlic, peeled and chopped. I added water to cover, brought it to a boil, then simmered it for 20 minutes or so until everything was soft. Then I blended it and seasoned it. (Usually just salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast.) This "recipe" works pretty well for any veggie -- carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green peas, zucchini, asparagus...mixed veggies would taste good but look even scarier than the Swamp Soup above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home