Saturday, August 18, 2007

Homemade Ice Cream (KindaSorta)


I've got a teeny-tiny passionate hatred for recipes that call for "gadgets" that I don't own. It just seems unfair. (And yes, I am aware that there are FAR greater injustices in this world.) I'm a decent cook, I know how to substitute ingredients no problem, but it's hard to substitute for a kitchen appliance. And I'm living pretty minimally appliance-wise this year. Stove, range, microwave, mini-blender, food processor, immersion blender. That's all. No KitchenAid, no grill, no breadmaker (never actually owned one of those), and no ice-cream maker. That last one is the problem, because it eliminates approximately 100% of recipes for homemade ice cream. Until NOW! (Wahaha.)

I used the recipe I mentioned in my previous post. I used 12 or 13 peaches, but I did cut away a lot of bruises and nastiness, so you really only need 9 or 10 if they're in good shape. I used a 6 oz container of nonfat plain yogurt (TJs house brand has no gelatin) and 1/3 cup white sugar. Dumping all of those peaches in at once totally overwhelmed my Cuisinart, so I blended as follows:

1/3 of peaches, 1/2 of yogurt, 1/2 of sugar. Blend until smooth, then add another 1/3 of peaches, 1/2 of yogurt, and 1/2 of sugar. Blend until smooth and then stir in remaining 1/3 peaches. (You could blend them in, but I like it with the little icy peach chunks.) This stuff is absolutely astounding.

And one more pic:
I like the texture shot, but wasn't real thrilled with the plastic bowl. So in the interest of blog-photography (and nothing else of course) I had to scoop myself up a bowl of ice cream. Mmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home