Saturday, August 04, 2007

Turnip Greens? Eh.

So I cooked them -- just boiled them for about 3 minutes to decrease the bitterness and toughness that greens in general are known for. They weren't bad, but they certainly weren't kale. More like spinach, nothing exciting. And it didn't really seem like it would hold up well in the fridge -- one of the great benefits for me with kale is that it keeps well, and I get to eat fresh veggies all week. So I used all of the turnip greens in the following "recipe", and I'll try mustard or collard greens next week and see how they stack up. (This is for 1 bunch of greens; I made a triple batch.)

Peel and slice 10 cloves of garlic. Saute garlic in olive oil in a large-medium saucepan. Sprinkle garlic with cayenne pepper -- I never measure and I usually add too much, but I like it that way...

When the garlic is tender but not brown, add 1 bunch of chopped cooked greens. Stir well and heat 2-3 minutes until everything is hot. Stir in 1/2 can of (rinsed and drained) white beans. Salt and pepper to taste. Great served over hot pasta with diced tomatoes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home