Friday, December 14, 2007

Boxes and Contents

So, now that 3 of the 4 recipients have told me that they've gotten their boxes, I can talk a little more about the cookies that they contained. There were peanut butter cookies -- recipe straight from the Jif PB jar, except that I used almond milk instead of dairy milk. I used eggs, but I've made the cookies vegan before by using 2 T mashed banana or flaxseed egg substitute equal to one egg. There were also "Crackerdoodles" -- to quote beast, they're like snickerdoodles, with crack. I intended to make gingersnaps (I can post my mom's recipe if anyone wants it), but I accidentally forgot to add molasses. (I also used 1/2 brown sugar and 1/2 white sugar instead of all white sugar like the recipe called for.) These also used eggs, but you could substitute 2 T applesauce or 2 T pumpkin puree per egg.



The last cookie is kind of a 2-for-1. My mom calls them fruit bars, but that makes me think of fruitcake, and I don't like fruitcake. So I call them pie bars. They're ridiculously easy, and I just made them again for 2 potlucks that I'm going to this weekend.



1.5 cups Crisco

3 cups sugar

6 beaten eggs

1.5 tsp vanilla

3.5 cups flour

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup oats

2 cans pie filling of your choice -- I used one apple and one cherry



Beat shortening and sugar well. Add eggs, vanilla, flour, salt, and oats. Split dough into 2 equal portions. Place 3/4 of each portion in a foil lined and greased 9x9 inch pan, and spread out evenly. (Dough is sticky and may be hard to work with.) Spread with pie filling and top with spoonfuls of the remaining dough mixture... it will spread out during the baking time. Bake 375 degreesF for 40-45 minutes, until top is lightly browned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home