Monday, July 24, 2006

Pesto Obsessed-o.

There's just something about the word pesto that causes people to make bad puns: besto pesto, pesto presto, pesto pronto, pesto perfecto...I could go on, but I will spare you. Anyways, for me for a while it's been pesto depressed-o. Things just haven't been working out right...and once again, it wasn't perfect. But, I fold, I give up, I'll just post the closest that I've come.

Dump the following into a blender or food processor: 1 cup packed fresh basil. If this is coming from a homegrown basil plant, this is about a billion and one leaves. Don't worry, they'll grow back. 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted. (Heat a dry skillet over medium heat and add the pine nuts; shake them occasionally until they begin to brown...it happens really quickly, within about 2 minutes, so watch carefully.) Slightly less than 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (mmmm yeastie beasties...NOT the same as baker's yeast). 2 or 3 cloves of garlic. Do not increase the garlic -- and yes, that is straight from the mouth of the garlic queen. 1/8 teaspoon dark red miso. (Optionalish...if you don't use it, increase the salt by a small amount.) 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste. And of course, freshly ground black pepper. Blend for about 20 seconds on and off until the mixture is blended but not smooth. Add 1/8 to 1/4 cup olive oil and blend for about 10 seconds more. Then, ideally, let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours to mellow...or if you're me, eat it immediately with whatever food is within reach. My current favorite:


Much love to Beast for the inspiration...she ate a tomato-and-basil from my front yard, so I ate a tomato-and-basil from my front yard. And then I had no more tomatoes and lots of basil, so I made pesto and bought some tomatoes. Summer is yummer :) and I love bad rhymes.

And now, for the latest entry in the my produce can out-moon your produce contest...the multiple apricot bootyfruits!


Top that, suckaz :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home