Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mixed Veggie Raita

Somedays, I just don't feel like cooking. Like when it's 96 degrees (and me with no A/C)...or when I remember that my pantry is still pretty bare from the recent move. Raita to the rescue!

I was going to make cabbage raita from this recipe (about halfway down) but I didn't understand the directions. So here's what I did instead.

2 cups cabbage, thinly sliced (can substitute prepared coleslaw)
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced (shredded would be better but I was lazy)
3 tablespoons finely minced yellow onion (if you're like Kabs and hate onion, you can use a little less -- or if it's a texture thing, you can shred or juice the onion. But don't leave it out entirely.)
1/2 cup plain yogurt (more or less to personal preference)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp powdered ginger
1/4 salt, or more to taste

Mix all ingredients and adjust seasoning to taste. It's best if it sits in the fridge for a little bit (mine chilled for about half an hour while I made rice) and it's good on the second day as well. I wouldn't let it go much longer because the cabbage was starting to get a bit of a bitter taste. I mixed the raita with canned kidney beans and served it over rice.

Tomorrow I'll try cooking dry beans in my pressure cooker -- if you hear of a roof being blown off of a house somewhere in Columbus, it's either me or a very small tornado. And I'm looking forward to using those beans (though maybe not this first batch) in recipes from 5 Spices, 50 Dishes. Nupur recommended it in this post and I've already reserved it at the library. (Yay for CML!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Nupur said...

Your raita looks delicious!

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 5:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home