Friday, December 12, 2008

Yummy Greens and Tofu

My roommate had bought some beautiful fresh beets-with-greens, and then decided that she didn't want the greens. Free veggies for me, score! I'd never cooked with beet greens before, so I searched online and found Alanna's recipe. Here's my version:

1 cup veggie broth

1 bunch beet greens and stems (about half a pound), sliced

1 bunch green onions, chopped

4 cloves garlic, sliced

1 T brown mustard

1 16-oz (ish) block firm tofu, cubed

Heat broth to a simmer in a large pot. Add greens, onions, and garlic, and cover the pot. Cook about 10 minutes until greens are tender. Stir in mustard and tofu and cook 5 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

As usual, I'm not too sure on the measurements and cooking times...but this was really good! I ate it just like soup but it would be good on pasta or with mashed potatoes. It would work really well with spinach but might be overpowered by kale or mustard greens. Also, the beet greens that I used had very thin stems -- if yours have thick stems, you may want to add the stems with the onions and garlic, cook until tender, then add the greens with the tofu and cook for 10-15 additional minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home