Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Apple Crisp


I went apple-picking a few weeks ago while I was in Akron. And I went a little nuts. There was a lot of "Oooh! Look at that one! And that one! Oooh, are we allowed to climb the trees?" and then suddenly I had 20 lb of apples. I arranged them very prettily in a bowl, but that's about all. And then they started to develop the Dreaded Squish. So I made apple crisp, times 4. Because it freezes well. (And because I'm not very creative, sadly.)


I used the topping recipe from the PPK -- increased the cinnamon to 1 1/2 tsp, added 1/2 tsp ginger, and a sprinkling of cardamom and nutmeg, and subbed atta for the APF because it's what I grabbed first. I didn't bother with the complicated filling recipe, just peeled and sliced as many apples as would fit into an 8x8 foil-lined baking dish (I used about 7 but it obviously depends on the size of the apples). Then I mixed 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp sugar, and 1/4 cup water and poured it over the apples. I put the topping on top (logical, eh? but I think it would make a good pie crust too), covered the baking dish with foil, and baked about 35 minutes in a 350F oven until the apples started to get tender. Then I uncovered the dish and baked for about 20 minutes more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home