Saturday, July 26, 2008

From 5 Ingredients to 5 Spices

Well, y'all got a short break with my last post, but I'm back to cooking with 5 Spices. Actually (sadly) I'm pretty much not cooking: my schedule sucks, and I'm usually too tired to drive to the grocery store after work. And I was going to cook last night, but my parents surprised me with a visit and we went out to dinner :)



I made the "Creamed Farmer Greens" (p. 35) and the "Corn with Mustard Seeds" (p.32-33), and served them with basmati rice and yogurt sprinkled with cilantro.

The first several times that I looked at the greens recipe, I wasn't impressed. To me, pureed greens mixed with heavy cream sounded a lot like baby food from the 1950s -- yuk. But then I realized that the recipe was basically palak paneer, minus the paneer and with kale instead of spinach. (And I loooove palak paneer.) I used a 24-oz bag of precut kale instead of the greens called for, and added a few cloves of garlic along with the onion and ginger. I increased the amount of water added to the puree to 1.5 cups, and used the kale cooking water rather than the plain water called for. I added cubed paneer during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Oh, and I left out the heavy cream :)

I followed the corn recipe pretty closely -- I used frozen corn kernels, added a bunch of chopped green onions (white part only, the green part had dried out from sitting in the fridge) and kept everything else the same. I used 2 Thai chiles and it was spicy, so watch out if you're cooking for people with sensitive palates!

This made a lot of food so I'll have leftovers for a few days. Yay!

2 Comments:

Blogger Nupur said...

I'm very impressed...you sure are cooking up a storm! Indian food makes for great leftovers, doesn't it?? Most of the time it also freezes well.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 4:53:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Mmm...all of that kale sounds delicious!

Friday, August 08, 2008 1:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home