Sunday, September 16, 2007

Still Ill?

I think that I am still a little less-than-healthy, but I'm feeling better. I slept all morning and then volunteered this afternoon. (Shame on me, I know. But I wore gloves and didn't sneeze or cough on anyone or anything.) And then I went to the international foodstore, the recycling dropoff, and the grocery store.



We'd made chicken and biscuits as one of the meals today, and that inspired me to make veggie pot pie. (Sort of...I decided to skip the crust.) The original recipe was in Judy Krizmanic's A Teen's Guide to Going Vegetarian; mine is from my own head and a very beat-up index card with a reminder of how much flour and how much water go into the sauce.

4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped

2 medium onions, chopped

4 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2" thick

1 cup frozen peas

1 cup frozen corn

1 can chickpeas

8 oz mushrooms, chopped

Put potatoes and onions in a large pot with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 8 minutes. Add chopped carrots, simmer for 5 more minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients and cook until heated through.

Meanwhile, make sauce. Mix in small(ish) bowl: 1/2 cup flour, 4 T nutritional yeast, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp thyme, and a pinch or two each of ground ginger and ground cumin. You can also add dried dill, tarragon, basil, or oregano. Pour in 1/2 to 1 cup water, enough to dissolve the flour. Add to the vegetables and cook until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve with bread.

And of course, where there are mushrooms, there are booty-mushrooms:

Yay!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home