Tuesday, July 17, 2007

More kale

I have decided -- the main reason that I keep this blog is to keep my "recipes" somewhere that I can't lose them. I cook kinda seasonally, so I do tend to forget things from one year to the next. So with that in mind, my current favorite thing to do with kale.

1-2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1 lemon
3 T tahini
1 to 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
freshly ground black pepper

Thinly slice the garlic and put it in a small bowl. Add the salt and use a fork or the back of a spoon to crush the garlic and salt into a thick paste. Wash the lemon and peel off the yellow part only, using a grater or vegetable peeler. Thinly slice the strips of peel and add to the garlic paste. Juice the lemon and add the lemon juice to the bowl, along with the tahini and soy sauce. Add pepper (and salt) to taste. Makes enough for 6-8 cups of kale. You can add minced green onions or sesame seeds too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cabbage said...

yellow part only? like... the peel???

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 3:06:00 PM  
Blogger bek said...

Yep, the peel. But the point is to avoid the bitter white pith underneath :) Eat kale, not yarn!

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:29:00 PM  
Blogger bek said...

OK, now that I actually remember the words, I can explain better. Peel = zest (yellow) + pith (white), so you want only the zest, not the entire peel. Wahaha for cooking terminology!

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home