Saturday, September 30, 2006

Scarves and Seitan

So today is a perfect soup day. I love soup no matter when, but today (a) it's raining, and (b) I have studying to do. Procrastination + bad weather = soup, no 2 ways about it.

Today's choice: cold soup. Not because it is cold, but because you make it when you have a cold. (Which I do, on a permanent basis. It's really allergies, but that's beside the point.) And today's version is extra-special, because there's seitan in it. The basic cold soup goes like this: 1 part chopped carrots, 1 part chopped celery, 1 part chopped onion, 3 parts water. Bring to a boil, simmer for about 20 minutes, salt and pepper to taste, eat. (This soup is completely abnormal to me because it has celery -- which I hate -- and it lacks garlic -- which I love. Go figure.) But I've been a little lacking in protein recently (no lectures please...) so I decided to make fake-chicken soup by adding homemade seitan. To make seitan, you take about 2 cups of gluten flour and mix in salt, pepper, and spices of choice (I used onion powder, garlic powder, dried thyme and dried dill.) Then you combine about 1 tablespoon of soy sauce with about 2 cups of water, and add it into the flour mix, which rapidly turns into a blob that resembles mutant oatmeal. You knead the mess for about 3 minutes, then slice it into tiny chunks (they expand about 5 times their size when you cook them) and add it to the soup. Oh, and don't let the chunks touch each other after they're cut...they glue themselves back together. It's weird. Then you simmer everything for about an hour. It's my ultimate comfort food.

I made another stashbusting scarf for the Red Scarf Project. It's not quite finished -- I have a lot of ends to weave in still -- but I liked the Medusa-esque in-progress shot.


Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...guess what? Celery-butt!! (What can I say...I'm easily amused.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home