Saturday, July 29, 2006

Five Questions About Knitting

Five things about me and knitting...y'all should answer these questions too. And post in the comments with a link to your answers.

1) When did you start knitting?

July 3rd, 2004. Well apparently Mom taught me when I was a kid (I don't remember, sorry Mom) and I'd tried several times before that and failed miserably (though I did become a brilliant cast-on-er) but that was the first semi-success. It was the night before the Chicago trip, and I'd boarded the dog (for the first time ever); I missed her tremendously and I was very bored. So I learned to knit. And currently, Bu is at my parents' -- I miss her tremendously and I am very bored. So I will knit. And blog.

2) What was your first finished project?

A baby blanket in two shades of blue...I'm a little embarrassed about it now because it definitely looked like a first project: uneven stitches, little holes from unintentional yarnovers, horrible seaming. (I know, I know, who seams a blanket? But what I basically did is knit two scarves and sew them together so that it would be wide enough.) I was very proud of it at the time.

3) What is your favorite yarn?

Inner yarn snob be damned, I love Lion Brand Homespun. It was one of the two shades of blue in the baby blanket, and I have since made several scarves, several pairs of fingerless mitts, and one infamous abominable sweater. (Someone check this link, post a comment and tell me if it works, OK?) I will devote an entire post to that sweater someday...it's, um, interesting :) But yeah, Homespun's super-comfy, relatively cheap, and insanely easy to care for. And I love working with it, though I know that not everyone does. Other yarns-I-love include anything with alpaca. And stuff on sale. And any nicely wound ball of yarn that hops off of the shelf and aims itself at Beast (with a little help from me of course).

4) What is your favorite pair of needles?

Steel blue colored aluminum number 9s. First needles I bought, and I love them. I'm still learning to appreciate dpns and circs...Tubey's helping a lot with that. (Fear not, Kabs, you will get your needles back! I'm done with one sleeve and just below the elbow on the other...but I've got a good 8 hours of sit-and-wait in airports coming up this week...)

5) What is the most complicated project you've ever completed?

The DNA Scarf, no question. I wussed out on the mini-cables (and miscrossed a few cables in the pattern) but otherwise worked it exactly as written. I gifted it...and Beast, if you ever lose it, don't tell me. Or I'll cry. And never knit you anything. Ever. Again.

I've attempted a few other complicated things but never finished any. Working on it...but it's hard when you don't have a lot of time to devote to uninterrupted not-while-multitasking knitting. Someday.

So that's me in the fiber sense...off to knit!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cabbage said...

you have to log into facebook to see it. then it works (the abominable sweater)!

Sunday, July 30, 2006 7:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home