Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Falafelentils

BB4 has made me much more conscious of using up my leftovers and cooking creatively, but I still have the sesame seeds in my pantry. Before I resorted to grinding them up and putting them in spaghetti sauce (isn't that what you're supposed to do to hide foods?), I decided to see if I could use them in a tastier fashion :)

Just Bento suggests rolling Spicy Lentil Snacks in sesame seeds (which is how I found the recipe), but I changed things a little. For seasoning, I used 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1.5 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground pepper, and the juice of half a lemon. Instead of brown rice, I used leftover rice (that had been seasoned with garlic-lentil powder and lemon). I reduced the oil to 2 T. And I added 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds to the mixture. Once baked, they came out similar to falafel...so they're falafelentils!


Honestly, the sesame seeds didn't add a whole lot to the recipe, but that's OK :) Next time I make the recipe I'll probably reduce the lentils to 3/4 cup and keep everything the same. And I'll remember to oil the pan so that they don't get stuck and broken like the ones in the picture!

This goes to Nupur's BB4.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nupur said...

How clever! Is falafelentils going to be the new food fad :D?

Love your entries, thanks for playing along with the theme.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:15:00 AM  
Blogger SS blogs here said...

I like the idea of falafelentils! Thanks for pointing to the Bento site too!

Saturday, June 26, 2010 7:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home