Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Super-Easy Sweet and Spicy Noodles


I love to cook. But I was thinking today -- over the past several months, I haven't done a lot of cooking. After our CSA ended last September, I had cooking fatigue for a few weeks. Then it was interview season (a lot of travelling), a month at my parents' house for an out-of-town assignment, my ER rotation (crazy schedule), then "almost time to go out of the country for 6 weeks", then "out of the country for 6 weeks", then "almost time to move". Now that we've moved (into a place with a gas stove, and plenty of counter space), unpacked the kitchen (first boxes to be opened, of course), and found the most awesome market ever, I'm super-excited to be cooking regularly again. (It helps that I'm on vacation for the next couple of weeks...)

I'm also impatient. I tend to take shortcuts and simplify recipes. Sometimes it works, but sometimes I need to have someone step in and follow a recipe on my behalf. N always cooks the tofu for this dish because I'm almost physically unable to wait for it to brown. So here goes.

Sauce
4 T soy sauce
4 T brown sugar
Sriracha (rooster sauce)

The rest :)
veggies (we used mushrooms, broccoli, and carrots)
8 oz whole wheat spaghetti
4 scallions
6 cloves garlic
16 oz firm tofu, cut in 3/4 inch cubes
toasted sesame oil

Sauce: Mix soy sauce and brown sugar, then add Sriracha to taste.

To prepare: Cut veggies into bite-size pieces. Boil a pot of water; blanch veggies and remove from water with a slotted spoon. Put pasta into water and cook til al dente. Meanwhile, saute garlic and onion. Add tofu and cook until browned (seriously, it takes forever). When tofu is cooked, add half of the sauce and cook for about a minute so that the brown sugar caramelizes. Mix remaining sauce with pasta and veggies and top with tofu.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home