Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Moffins!


(Don't ask me why -- muffins have always been moffins. That's just how it is.)

In the spirit of BB4, I decided to use up a couple of very ripe bananas. Yesterday, I attempted to make banana yogurt, but the sweetness of the banana didn't "balance" well with the harshness of the plain yogurt. A couple teaspoons of sugar and a splash of vanilla extract didn't really help, so I let it sit in the fridge overnight to see if the flavors would blend. Sadly, nope. It was also a very thin consistency. (I ate a few tablespoons with some fruit and granola this morning. It wasn't awful, but I wasn't eager to eat any more.) I had seen on a few blogs that yogurt diluted with milk could be a buttermilk substitute, so I figured that yogurt diluted with banana could also be used in baking. I had another banana to use up as well. I found this recipe, and here's my version. (Note: even when I'm baking, I'm more of a cook -- these measurements aren't exact.)

2 very ripe bananas
1 cup plain lowfat yogurt
1 T milk
2 T olive oil (just because that's what I have in the house)
1 egg, beaten
1.5 tsp vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour (I used TJs white whole wheat flour, similar to whole wheat pastry flour)
1/3 cup sugar
1/6 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375F. Blend together (in a blender or food processor) the yogurt, milk, and 1 of the bananas. In a medium bowl, mash the remaining banana. Add the yogurt mixture, oil, egg, and vanilla. In a large bowl, mix together flours, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour batter into muffin pan (makes 12 muffins), sprinkle tops with sugar if desired, and bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home