Sunday, June 24, 2007

Oatmeal!

So, if you are a member of my immediate family...you know that Oatmeal is Grossmeal. But it's good for you, and it's been on the list of must-learn-to-like foods for a while. (I love Oatmeal Creme Pies, but for obvious reasons, they don't really count.) Others: eggplant, okra, Brussels sprouts, and lima beans. I've successfully "conquered" basil, miso, red peppers, and butternut squash. And beer. :)

But yeah. Oatmeal, ew. But I was browsing Craftster's cooking section a couple of weeks ago and found these recipes for baked oatmeal. Hmm, I thought, sounds like a cake recipe. Mmmm, cake. I veganized the banana version, and it was good but not fantastic (mostly due to my changes). Had potential though. So today I made the "regular" version, drastically modified. Not perfect, but closer.

First, I made applesauce. I took 6 small MacIntosh apples (about 4 regular ones) and peeled and sliced them thinly into a plastic bowl. (Do NOT use plastic! Or your bowl will smell like cinnamon forever! Just a warning/reminder to me for the next time I make this...of course, I now have a cinnamon-bowl so I guess it doesn't really matter.) I added 2 T brown sugar, 1 T cinnamon (I love cinnamon), 1/4 t powdered ginger, a pinch of cloves, a pinch of nutmeg, and a little salt. I added about 3/4 c water, stirred, covered, and microwaved for about 7 minutes. I pureed a cup of the applesauce, and then added about 1/2 cup of the applesauce without pureeing it. I used only 3 T of oil and didn't use the raisins. I omitted the extra sugar and cinnamon (though I'll use them next time), left out the baking powder, and cut the salt to about 1/2 t. Great texture, a little lacking in flavor. So I may use half apple juice and half soymilk, and I'll definitely use the sugar and cinnamon. Oatmeal City, here I come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home