Saturday, June 17, 2006

Better Late Than Never...But Better Never Late

I heard that once and it made me unhappy...because I am chronically late. (I can't help it...I swear.) So, since I am unable to commit to "better never late", here's "better late than never". My blog about food, and knitting, and pets, and school, and events and websites that interest me, or that piss me off. And random thoughts...they're inevitable around here.

I'll start with food. Tonight was grill night. I love grilling. And even though the grill is very old and cranky and threatens to kill me every time I light it, it still makes fabulous food.

The menu: artichokes and mushrooms. (No, vegetarian grilling is not an oxymoron...)

The mushrooms:

Though I am a "mature" person (old enough to be kicked off of my parents' insurance), I still think it's funny that this mushroom looks like a butt.

So anyways, I mixed up some soy sauce and sesame oil and minced garlic and black pepper, rubbed it on the mushroom caps and grilled them for maybe 10 minutes. The finished dish:


I put most of them in the fridge to go with salad and pasta and rice and sandwiches for the rest of the week. (Leftovers = my friend.)

I've been addicted to grilled artichokes ever since I had one at Northstar Cafe. They served theirs with a remoulade...but I'm not a huge mayo fan. Anyhows, I destroyed my first batch (artichokes to ashes, and lots of dust) but both the second and the third batches have turned out really well. Basically, you boil the artichokes whole for 20 minutes, then cut them in half, remove the choke, brush them with olive oil and grill (8 minutes on the uncut side and 4 minutes on the cut side). I'm going to be very distraught when artichoke season is done.

"Action" shot...artichokes battling leaping flames!

And how they turned out. I actually burned them a little bit on purpose...that's my story and I'm sticking to it :) The sauce is soy sauce, sesame oil, cayenne pepper, ginger, brown sugar, and lime juice, aka "cupboard sauce"... different every time.


And that's all for tonight!

1 Comments:

Blogger bek said...

For better instructions on how to grill an artichoke, go to

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article.php?id=111

It's what I based my "recipe" on.

Saturday, June 17, 2006 9:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home